Want to know “How long does it take to migrate Magento 1 to 2?”
Recently, Magento 2 has become one of the biggest concerns in the e-commerce world and the Magento store owners’ very much concerned about Magento migration. Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration is one of the biggest concerns in recent years. It’s not a data transfer simply but it’s a ‘re-platforming’ process.
Since Magento 2 is being updated with day to day improvements, Magento 1 seems to lag with older security patches. Migrating Magento 1 to Magento 2 isn’t as simple as dragging and dropping and normally takes about three months for a normal store. This period may be longer if the website is more complex or highly customized and depends on the size and complexity of a website
The time needed for the migration depends on the complexity of the site built on Magento 1.
5 Steps to determine how long it takes to migrate from Magento 1 to 2
A Magento migration involves transferring the theme, extensions, database assets, custom code, configuring the new site and testing.
1. Migrating the Theme from Magento 1 to 2
Magento theme migration is difficult and it’s essential to build a new template for Magento 2, which may be a similar or distinct one.
- About 10 days: If we apply a ready-to-use Magento 2 theme to the new site, it will take nearly 10 days to install the theme and make some customization and set up a payment gateway. Even though several themes and templates varieties are available across Magento stores for both paid and free, it is always good to have a high-quality one so the codes stay clean and better.
- In 1 month: If we don’t want to move the design from Magento 1 to 2, you can go for a website cloning option which can take about at least 1 month. ( New template and MySQL migration)
- From 3 months onwards: If we are neither interested in using templates nor cloning the current website but building a fresh and unique one for the new site, it would take 3 months (onward) to achieve. The first month might be spent on raising ideas and working with the website designers. And the next months might be for frontend coding and so on.
2. Migrate Extensions to Magento 2
It’s impossible to use themes from Magento 1 and extensions from the Magento 2 website or vice versa. At about, it may take 15 minutes to 1 hour for the installation of an extension. The more modules you have, the more time needs to get these extensions up.
3. Migrate Data from Magento 1 to 2:
The next process is migrating database assets between two sites. Now it’s time to migrate all the products and so on. Magento Data Migration Tool is very useful provided by Magento and it will take less effort and time to move the data
Migration of Magento 2 Data: It may take a week (depending on the products list & configuration).
4. Migrating the Codes from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Apart from the theme and extensions, we can migrate the code from Magento 1 to 2 by Magento Code Migration Toolkit. However, not all the custom code is compatible with Magento 2, so we might need to rewrite it.
Magento 2 Code Migration: Estimated from 1-2 weeks.
5. Configuring and Testing of the new Magento 2 store
Finally, we need to configure the new Magento 2 store, email templates, languages, store views, tax, shipping, payment, promotions, etc. Then, after completing the theme, extension, data, and code migration process and also you need to set up the server. At last, optimize the whole site to meet SEO standards, augment site speed, and so on.
Magento 2 Configuration and Testing: Testing may within 2-3 weeks.
By considering all this, it may take a minimum of 3 ~ 4 months for migrating Magento to 2.x. Just migrate to Magento 2 today with us.
Looks interesting and would want to know more? Let’s talk – Click Here!