Attributes are based on product variants (or “compounds” in the interface of PrestaShop): You can only produce products differences if you modify at least one of its attributes.
You must consider of attributes as properties of a product that may modify between variations, while still keeping the same product name: color, capacity, size, weight, etc. You can use anything that varies between versions of the same product, except the cost.
The difference between a characteristic and a feature depends on the product itself. Some items may share the same property, one that is an attribute to build product variations, and another is simply an unchangeable feature.
For example, a customer can purchase the iPod variant based on attributes (color, disk space), but not the features (weight, size).
Similarly, other shops may sell T-shirt variants based on another store attributes (color, size, gender), but not the features (weight).
The attributes are built up on a per-product basis, from a “product” page under the “catalog” menu, but they must first register at your store using the “Product Attribute” page tool under the “Catalog” menu.
This page provides a list of all your currently registered trademarks. You can edit or delete each record using the actions on the right of the table or show their values by clicking on the “View” function that opens a new table.
You can set the front office presentation in order by clicking on the arrow icons or by dragging the mouse “position” column, dragging each row.
Create new attributes
To add an attribute, or in other words, to include a group of different possibilities (colors, capabilities, etc.), click “Add new attribute”. A new page appears.
Fill the form:
- Name: The exact description of the attribute. It must be small but accurate, and it should not be confused with another character.
- Public Name: The attribute name will be shown to customers on the product page. Since some attributes can have the same name for different content, this field helps you to provide more correctly in the context of the products, while another can mean a different characteristic in another name, but it does mean different.
- Attribute type: The product page helps you to choose whether to show these attribute values as a drop-down list, a radio button list or a color picker.
Three more options are presented when you permit the Layer Navigation Block Module. They are not necessarily linked to the layered navigation: they provide direct URLs for each of the variants of the products. In this way, a customer friend can only send a valid link to the friend, but it also helps to improve your search engine placement.
- URL: The word to use in the URL. By default, PrestaShop attribute uses general name.
- The Meta title: The word to use the title of the page. By default, PrestaShop attribute uses general name.
- Indexable: Whether or not the search engines will index the attribute
Customer URL can simply get by clicking on an attribute from the product sheet: the URL will add a final detail dynamically, for example # / color-metal or # / disk_space-16GB / color green.
The Layer Navigation Generator also uses this, so use the descriptive text “Specific URL Design on the Black Layered generation” and “Use this attribute in the URL generated by the Layer Navigation module”.
Return to attribute list and save your new attribute. Now you need to add values to your attribute
Build a new value
Select “Add new value”. A new page will show.
Complete the form:
- Attribute type: From the drop-down list, select one of the available attributes.
- Value: “Red”, “16 GB”, “1.21 Gwigats” …
If the attribute is the color type, only the next fields are exposed.
- Color: If the attribute is a color, you can enter its value in HTML color code (such as “# 79ff52” or “lightblue”), or use the color picker to accurately display the correct color.
- Texture: If your product does not use a solid color, but rather a quality one (such as tiger stripes), you can upload a smaller image file displayed on the product page. Note that this will change the color of the HTML from the field above. Click on “Save” button and start uploading.
You can use this option to permit the customer to select the color variety from a picture of your product rather than a color to one color to the customer. How it looks at the front-end depends on the theme you use…
- Current Texture: Once you have uploaded a quality file, this will be displayed as a reminder in this section.
You can include additional values to the same attribute type, save your changes and save “Save and add another value” button.
Get more two options when you enable Layer Navigation block module. They are not harshly tied to the layered navigation: they provide direct URLs for each of the variants of the products. In this way, a friend can only send a valid link to the customer, but it also helps to maximize your search engine placement.
- URL: The word to use in the URL. By default, PrestaShop uses the Value Name.
- The Meta title: The word to use in the URL. By default, PrestaShop uses the Value Name.
Consumer URL can simply get by clicking on an attribute from the product sheet, and changing the URL # / color metallic or # / disk_space-16gb / color-green example will add a final detail.
The Layer Navigation Generator do not use these too, so the text of the “Specific URL Design URL format in the Block Layer Title” description text.
Once your attributes are in place and their values are set, you can create product variants (or “combination”) in of every products “Combination” tab, from the “List” menu from the “Product” page under the “Catalog” menu.
Last Update: March 8, 2018