There are 5 steps to estimate time for Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration.
A Magento Migration involves transferring the theme, extensions, database assets, custom code, configuring the new site and testing.
1. Migrate Theme from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Magento theme migration is not easier. As a consequence, it’s necessary to build a new template for Magento 2, which can be similar or distinct from your old one.
- About 10 days: If we apply a ready-to-use Magento 2 theme to the new site, it will take nearly 10 days to install the theme and make some slight customization.Even though a number of themes and template varieties are available in the Magento store. But it is good to have a high-quality one for better clean codes.
- About 1 month: If we don’t want to change the design from Magento 1 to Magento 2, you should think about a website cloning option that takes at least 1 month to conduct.
- From 2 to 3 months: If we want to neither use a template nor clone the current website but building a fresh and unique one for the new site, it would take from 2 to 3 months to achieve.,The first month might be spent on raising ideas and working with the website designers and the next months might be for frontend coding.
Magento 2 Theme Migration: Estimated from 1 week to 3 months depending on the methods of migrating the theme (apply the ready-to-use theme/ clone the Magento 1 website/ build a totally new design for Magento 2)
Look at How we Managed to Migrate this Store from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
2. Migrate Extensions to Magento 2
It’s impossible to use both of the current Magento 1 themes and extensions on the Magento 2 website.
We have to buy new extensions with the same functions and performance capability.
On average, it takes approximately three hours to install an extension. The larger the number of modules you have, the greater the time it consumes to migrate.
We need 1 or 2 days extra to solve possible conflicts after setting up all the extensions.
Magento 2 Extension Migration: Up to 10 days to find new modules and plugins plus time to install those extensions (3 hours/ module X number of the module) and time for conflict solving.
Estimated from 1 to 2 weeks.
3. Migrate Data from Magento 1 to 2
The next process is migrating database assets between two sites.
We will need to transfer the products, categories, customers, orders, CMS pages and blog content, testimonials, ratings and reviews, and so on.
Thanks to the useful Magento Data Migration Tool provided by Magento, it takes less effort and time to move the data (up to 1 week on average).
Magento 2 Data Migration: Estimated 1 week (for 2-time Magento migration)
4. Migrate Code from Magento 1 to Magento 2
We can migrate the code from Magento 1 to 2 by Magento Code Migration Toolkit.
However, not all the custom code is compatible with Magento 2, so we might need to rewrite it.
Magento 2 Code Migration: Estimated from 1-2 weeks.
Learn everything you need to know about improving your business by migrating from Magento 1.X to the much improved Magento 2. Download Free eBook
5. Configure and Test the new Magento 2 store
We need to configure the new Magento 2 store, email templates, languages, store views, tax, shipping, payment, promotions, etc.
After completing the theme, extension, data, and code migration process and it needs to set up server, optimize the site to SEO standards.
Magento 2 Configuration & Test: Estimated from 2-3 weeks.
All things considered, it may take at least 3 to 4 months to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
Related Content : 1. How long does it take to migrate Magento 1 to 2? 2. What are the steps involved in Magento migration plan? 3. Magento 1 vs Magento 2: A worthful comparison 4. Is there any successful Magento 2 migration projects? 5. What are the pros and cons of Magento Migration?